Thursday, December 22, 2005

Back In Stock News

-So the name will be Houston Republic Football Club! Excellent choice in my book! Taco Jones from BigSoccer got the scoop from a friend who is a bike messenger. The messenger walked into MLS HQ, saw the proofs of the shield on the wall and snapped some pics of it with his camera phone! Team colors are Gold & Light Blue, or is that Orange & Light Blue? My thanks goes out to the Turkish Zath for laying this on me.
-Former Utah head coach, and Salt Lake assistant coach Chris Angello has been named as new head coach for Portland.
-A goofball Q & A with Heath Pearce via US Soccer.
-A BBC video interview with Carlos Bocanegra of Fulham
-The voting for the FIFA World Player Of The Year is on line in an Excel spread sheet. Voting is done by the coach and captain of every country, so there are actually two files to open, one for the coaches and one for the captains votes. I think they make for fascinating reading. For example, a guy like Cafu, Brazils captain, would seem like a fairly smart in-tune guy. So let's see who he voted for: 1. Cristiano Ronaldo 2. Zinedine Zidane 3. Paolo Maldini. Huh? What kinda list is that? Two voters actually got the voting exactly correct: Coach Pawel Janas of Poland & Coach Richard Paez of Venezuela. I think they won the door prize of a donkey for guessing the right players in order, but there was only one donkey, so they had it butchered and then split it. Like I said, fun reading.
-Soccer 365 is sporting a Q & A with Quavas Kirk of LA.
-The San Jose Mercury News has two more stories today about the future of soccer in their town. One - and - Two.
-In the English Carling Cup last night:
Doncaster 2-2 Arsenal - The Arse win 1-3 on PK's
Middlesbrough 0-1 Blackburn
And now the Semifinals will line up like this:
First Leg - Week of Jan 9
Wigan v Arsenal
Blackburn v Man Utd
Second Leg - Week of Jan 23
Arsenal v Wigan
Man Utd v Blackburn
-US Soccer has announced their "Best Of 2005" awards. Player awards will be announced later today.
-Real Madrid lost again last night in La Liga 1-2 to Racing Santander. They now sit in 5th place, 11 pts behind #1 Barca.
-Sporting Cristal has won the Peru championship.
-El Nacional has won the Ecuador championship.
-Metrostars coach Mo Johnston told Big Apple Soccer that forward ".... Sergio Galvan Rey won't be back."
-My pal Matthew hooked me up with this: Steven Wells of the Guardian lists his annual Swells Awardz 2005, including a win for a master-stroke chant done toward the England players by us USA fans in Chicago last spring. Fantastically funny.

5 Comments:

Blogger hartley said...

I guess I got on it too late -- can't see that Houston shield however I try. Has it been pulled for "legal" reasons?

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats odd hartley, I just clicked the link to the bigsoccer post and still saw them.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats odd hartley, I just clicked the link to the bigsoccer post and still saw them.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Flatlander said...

It's working for me too.

The shield looks good and it'll be nice to add orange to the MLS color wheel.

My only concern about the shield is adding the date Texas broke away from Mexico. Is that the best thing to inlcude if you are courting any Mexican-American fans?

"Tea Is For Pussies" was a classic. Nice to see it get some rep from a UK paper.

1:35 PM  
Blogger hartley said...

Turns out I had to view it at home. Must be the firewall at work. Still strange. I see lots of other photos placed in BigSoccer.

As for the shield itself and the name -- doesn't excite me much. It might be a good start, but I certainly hope this is more of a first draft. And I don't really get the Republic idea at all. Is there something I'm missing about Houston history?

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts