Some Soccer News for Feb 27, 2017
Minnesota Dark Clouds annual preseason Supporters Summit is Tue Feb 28. Its really important that you are there.
CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
The odds are good that once again it will be 2 MLS teams and 2 Liga MX teams in the Semifinals, but we have to wait cuz some big second leg games this week will determine that.
There is a lot of pressure on MLS teams to end the disappointment and win this tournament, finally. By Jon Marthaler for the Star Tribune.
-Tue Feb 28
Pachuca v Saprissa (0-0) - 9pm CT
-Wed Mar 1
Arabe Unido v Dallas (0-4) - 7pm CT
Pumas v Tigres (1-1) - 9pm CT
-Thu Mar 2
Vancouver v Red Bulls (1-1) - 9pm CT
- All games on Univision Deportes & CONCACAF Facebook
MNUFC lost its final preseason game 2-0 to USL team San Antonio.
- Starting line up - Shuttleworth, KVenegas, Greenspan, Kallman, De Villardi, Martin, Ibson, Molino, Thompson, Kadrii, Gatt
- Subs - unknown, as the team did not provided a box score or any mention of the match post game. I guess I saw Jome in there now that I think about it. So there's 1 sub.
- No one who is expected to start on Friday night in Portland, except Molino, played at all.
- The team didn't have enough subs so a San Antonio player named Kevyn McFarlane played the last 10 minutes on the left side of midfield for the Loons. Odd. That makes 2 subs.
- Good - Did you see any? The Loons had a lot of possession but rarely tested the goalkeeper at all. A couple of shots here and there.
- Bad - Bust out the Iron Skillet! Defending on set pieces was quite bad. They played without a forward. So there was not much in the attack. Not much at all.
- Where has first draft pick Abu Danladi been? We have seen less than 90 total minutes of him in all of preseason. Again odd.
Now it all leads to Friday and the season opener in Portland.
From the local newspapers:
- Josh Gatt arrives in the Twin Cities looking to restart a once very promising career. By Andy Greder for the Pioneer Press.
- Rasmus Schuller gets a taste of home with fellow Finns on the Minnesota Wild. By Greder.
- The preseason is over, and there were no wins, but there were no injuries etc either, and a lot of team building was done. By Megan Ryan for the Star Tribune.
- The team has revised their projection for game 1 attendance down to 30,000 from a previous 35,000.
- The presence of Minnesota United in MLS will give a big boost to all of local soccer. By Megan Ryan for the Star Tribune.
In Orlando for the final 2 preseason games:
-Wed Feb 22
MU 0-3 Toronto
-Sun Feb 26
MU 0-2 San Antonio
Training camp roster (28):
- G: John Alvbage, Marco Carducci (trialist), Patrick McLain, Bobby Shuttleworth.
- D: Francisco Calvo, Justin Davis, Vadim Demidov, Joe Greenspan, Brent Kallman, Jermaine Taylor, Kevin Venegas, Thomas de Villardi (unsigned draft pick)
- M: Bernardo Anor, Joshua Gatt, Raul Gonzalez (trialist), Ibson, Miguel Ibarra, Ismaila Jome, Bashkim Kadrii, Collin Martin, Kevin Molino, Mohammed Saeid, Rasmus Schuller, Tanner Thompson (unsigned draft pick), Collen Warner
- F: Abu Danladi, Christian Ramirez, Johan Venegas
RIP Judge Wapner. Case dismissed.
Orlando traded Brek Shea to Vancouver for Giles Barnes. Big names who have not lived up to the promise.
I could watch this on a loop:
A ?? at the best goals we've seen...ever. pic.twitter.com/fbBe4GmKLr— Major League Soccer (@MLS) February 26, 2017
One foreign player signing that has really flown under the clouds is Romain Alessandrini for the LA Galaxy. He could be a huge player this season. By Kevin Baxter for the LA Times.
- Frankly the Galaxy will need him to be big time.
A 2017 MLS season preview. By Michelle Kaufman for the Miami Herald.
The first of many to come - a comparison of Atlanta and Minnesota on the eve of the 2017 season. By Clemente Lisi for The US National Soccer Team Players Association.
USMNT U20s at the CONCACAF Championship and U20 World Cup qualifying
USA is thru to the 2nd group stage (2 groups of three) with the top 2 teams advancing to the World Cup.
Losing that 1st game to Panama was a real blow for the USA chances of making the World Cup though because they got stuck in by far the tougher of the 2 groups, facing both other prelim group winners Mexico and El Salvador. Oof.
Group D Matches:
-Mon Feb 27
USA v Mexico - 4pm CT on Facebook
-Wed Mar 1
Mexico v El Salvador
-Fri Mar 3
USA v El Salvador
Group B Results:
-Sat Feb 18
USA 0-1 Panama
-Tue Feb 21
USA 4-1 Haiti
-Fri Feb 24
USA 4-1 St Kitts + Nevis - USA goals by Brooks Lennon, Jonathan Lewis + Sebastian Saucedo(2).
Final Group B Standings:
9 Panama (+7)
6 USA (+5)
3 Haiti (-1)
0 St Kitts + Nevis (-11)
Final is on Mar 5 in Costa Rica.
- G: Jonathan Klinsmann - U California, JT Marcinkowski - Georgetown
- D: Marlon Fossey - Fulham, Justen Glad - Real Salt Lake, Aaron Herrera - U New Mexico, Erik Palmer-Brown - Sporting Kansas City, Tommy Redding - Orlando City, Auston Trusty - Philadelphia Union
- M: Danny Acosta - Real Salt Lake, Tyler Adams - New York Red Bulls, Coy Craft - Dallas, Luca De la Torre - Fulham, Jonathan Gonzalez - Monterrey, Jeremiah Gutjahr - Indiana U, Jonathan Lewis - New York City, Sebastian Saucedo - Real Salt Lake, Eryk Williamson - U Maryland
- F: Jeremy Ebobisse - Portland Timbers, Brooks Lennon - Real Salt Lake, Emmanuel Sabbi - Las Palmas
- C: Tab Ramos
The biggest news by far was that Geoff Cameron made a short 8 minute appearance for Stoke, the first time he has been on the field since he suffered a knee injury in late October! This is great for him and the USMNT. Stoke lost badly, 4-0 at Tottenham.
Unfortunately for some of the Americans in the Bundesliga, they are on the 4 teams at the bottom of the league:
- 15 Werder Bremen 22 - Aron Johnnsson
- 16 Hamburger 20 - Bobby Wood
- 17 Ingolstadt 18 - Alfredo Morales
- 18 Darmstadt 12 - Terrence Boyd
By the way, Bobby Wood didn't play at all this past weekend after suffering a thigh injury last week, but it didn't matter cuz Hamburg was crushed 8-0 by Bayern.
The Terrence Boyd + Darmstadt Tracker:
- Results - Sat Feb 25 Lost 1-2 v Augsburg
- Note - Boyd came on at half time in a losing effort.
- Standings - Last place, 10 points below relegation, and 4 points below playoff
- Up Next - Sat Mar 4 at Werder Bremen (and American Aron Johannsson)
The Miguel Herrera + Tijuana Tracker:
- Results - Fri Feb 24 Win 2-0 v Monterrey
- Note - The big win coupled with Toluca + Chivas losses vaults Xolos from 3rd back to the top!
- Standings - 1st Place, with a +3 GD lead over Toluca
- Up Next - Fri Mar 3 v Pachuca (3rd place)
Biggest matches last weekend in Liga MX:
-Fri Feb 24
Tijuana 2-0 Monterrey - #3 moves to #1 v #4 drops to #6
Up Next - its like a mini tournament:
-Fri Mar 3
Tijuana v Pachuca - #1 v #3
-Sat Mar 4
Guadalajara v Toluca - #4 v #2
Biggest matches last weekend in Europe:
-Sun Feb 26
Inter 1-3 Roma - fell from #4 to #6 v #2 (but 7 pts back of Juve)
Atletico Madrid 1-2 Barcelona - #4 (now 10 pts off the lead) v #2 (still 1 pt behind RM)
Villarreal 2-3 Real Madrid - #6 v #1
Marseille 1-5 Paris St Germaine - a rout in Le Classique, the biggest rivalry in France
Well I see you got a new boyfriend
You know I never seen him before
Well I saw him makin' love to you
You forgot to close the garage door
The Bird Is The Word